The big looming decision in Washington D.C. right now is on tax reform. President Trump and the GOP have made it a priority to push forward comprehensive tax reform. Both the House and Senate have recently unveiled their tax reform plans, which include several provisions that could increase the tax burden on students and hinder access and affordability of public higher education. The House plan passed, but there is still time for us to mobilize to stop the plan in the Senate. The bill would eliminate the deduction for student loan interest, eliminate the exemption on tuition waivers and repeal several tax credits that help students and families afford college.
The House plans to vote on H.R. 1 this week, so the time to take action is NOW!
1) Call your Federal Representatives
2) Sign this Petition
3) Spread the word on Social Media
Sign the petition below to tell your legislators to #ReworkTheReform!
Other Ways to Take Action Now
USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO SPREAD THE WORD
CALL YOUR FEDERAL LEGISLATORS
The tax plan passed the House but still needs to be stopped in the Senate. Follow the steps below and voice your concerns. For your convenience, we also have included the contact information of some relevant legislators.
- Find who your US Senate representatives are – both at college and at home – https://callyourrep.co/.
- Call their office. You will be connected with one of their staff members.
- Tell them your name, ZIP code, and that you are a full time undergraduate/graduate student at your UC campus.
- Share your opinion on tax reform. Here’s a sample script on what to say…
“Hello! My name is [___] and I’m calling from [zip code]. I’m calling to ask Representative [Name] to oppose the tax reform plan. I am a full time undergraduate/graduate student, and the current plan would greatly hurt my family and I. The bill would eliminate the deduction for student loan interest payments, eliminate the exemption on tuition waivers, and repeal several key tax credits that help my family and I afford college. As a student, I already struggle to make ends meet. To be clear, this is plan is not a tax cut for me – it’s an increase. Please take down my information so that you can let me know what Senator [Name] is doing to stop this plan from going forward.”
- Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Chair
- Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX)
- Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC)
- Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH)
- Sen. Patrick Toomey (R-PA)
- Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), Ranking Member
- Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
- Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
- Robert Menendez (D-NJ)
- Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
- Robert Casey, Jr. (D-PA)
- Mark Warner (D-VA)
- Rep. Paul Ryan (WI-1), Speaker of the House
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (CA-12), House Minority Leader
- Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Senate Majority Leader
- Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Senate Minority Leader
- Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA), Senate Assistant Minority Leader