

Board Meeting Agenda

March 21-22, 2020,

This meeting will be livestreamed due to the COVID-19 Virus

- Meeting livestream can be viewed at:

Notices:

- Make requests in advance for disability accommodations by contacting ed@ucsa.org.
- These meetings are public and recorded (either through video or audio).
- Request to add agenda items 10 days before the meeting at <https://ucsa.org/air/>.

Saturday Agenda (times are approximate):

- https://www.facebook.com/pg/UCStudentAssociation/videos/?ref=page_internal

- Participants can join the livestream at:

- <https://zoom.us/j/67079153>

Executive Committee (closed session)

Meeting Welcome

Dashay: Call to order, thank you.

Public Comment

No public comment seen

Roll Call; Adoption of the Agenda; Approval of [Previous Minutes](#) Review Previous Meeting Action Items

Dashay: [Calls roll]

Lauren: We do not have quorum

Parshan: LD's, if your EVP is not here, please reach out.

Lauren: Can we move forward with the agenda on non-voting matters?

Anais: We can do that and move the agenda around once quorum is met

Dashay: Folks good with that? [yes]

Lauren: [Calls roll after Student Regent presentation] We are above quorum

Dashay: Anything people want to add to agenda? [none seen] Approval of previous minutes?

Vincent: So moved

Tiger: Second

[No objections seen]

Dashay: Motions to approve agenda?

Vincent: So moved

Varsha: Second

[No objections seen]

Dashay: Last meeting action items [goes through previous action items]

Guest Reports (if present)

- **Student Regent, Student Regent Designate**

Hayley: Hi, thank you for meeting and your work. Take care of yourselves, really stressful time, especially for those doing advocacy work. [slides]

Jamaal: Thank you. [goes through slides]

Rojina: Had question, forgot it

Vincente: Mentioned student regent recruitment. Any update on approaching the UCSA aspect of it? Still in person?

Hayley: Maybe Anais can shed light, it's y'all's decision

Anais: Can't see in person interviews. Haven't yet coordinated though with UCGPC/UCOP

Varsha: Not sure either, on my agenda to reach out to regents, UCGPC to determine.

Hayley: I know your president doesn't like to brag, but I expect the smoothest decisions and processes from UCSA, really appreciate all her work

Rojina: Any conversation about COLA at any meeting that took place?

Hayley: Like when we met with the President?

Rojina: Yeah, especially concerning the increasing numbers of campuses joining/Winter grades?

Hayley: Every campus we went to at interesting time. Many in major COLA action when we visited. Met with regents and president, all had similar ideas to those going out publicly. No resolution type update, but trying to educate folks on students' lived experiences

Jamaal: I can say there of course have been conversations, rest assured we have been advocating for students, will continue to do so. Will keep you posted.

Dashay: Want to discuss any conversations happening with UCOP concerning effects of COVID-19 in housing and pay?

Hayley: My understanding is that there is available PTO for students. Think it's on folks' radar that we are checking to see pay and housing fixes.

Jamaal: Want to encourage on-campus local advocacy as it relates to housing, payment, dining, a lot of stuff moving quickly. If you feel policy moving in the wrong direction, want you to reach out to your campus' staff.

- **Council on Student Fees**

[No reps present]

- **Representatives from UC Unions**

[No reps present]

- **UC Office of the President**

[No reps present]

Executive Officer Reports: President

Varsha: Hello, hope you're taking care of yourselves. [slides] Spoke on issues with free speech at UC conference, spoke on issues with regents, spoke with UC President on COLA, etc., working on financial aid, and UC Board of Regents on tuition. SAT/ACT discussions, potential issues with high tuition hike later because of COVID-19

Johana: Who is speaking on ACT/SAT again?

Varsha: Task force members, also people opposed to use of ACT/SAT, and campus specific admissions directors. Then spoke on COLA, demilitarization of police, letter sent on COVID-19 demands. EVPs, hold off May 2 for interviews. I wrote criteria for Student Regent selection, worked with UCGPC and took into consideration CoP. Also working on systemwide fee. Questions?

Rojina: Conversation around COLA- any conversation about the 82 TAs fired at UCSC

Varsha: Strongly condemned that, we are largely not being listened to. Response to me is that this is one of the hardest lines I've seen. Very frustrating.

Johana: Spoke with academic affairs commissioner. Want to know if regents are open to recommendations for SAT/ACT?

Varsha: I will reach out to ask

Johana: Yeah I have some recommendations

Varsha: Will reach out on that. Going to ask if I can speak. Once we get closer, will be sure to give that info

Johana: For example, my academic affairs commissioner can speak

Varsha: Chances of students being allowed to present is low, we do have STAR program, so recommend that people apply

Chair

Dashay: Apologize for being absent. Brought up discussion on moving forward to consolidate UCSA with each of our specific student governments. Have idea on our campus, possible to expand that to other campuses for feedback. Maybe create subcommittee to restructure. Looking into hiring parliamentarian and consultant to find effective option to structure.

CFO

Hi all. Returned to New Zealand and plan to stay. There is a 20 hour time difference, apologize for weird times. MoU w/Council on Student Fees, in discussion and more updates once revised. Might need to use emergency funds for SLC cancellation. Massive thank you to Anais for all her hard work. Better update next meeting. Have put other things on hold, will motion to table budget discussion. Spent time working with int'l students for housing security. Most UCs are helping, happy to work with you after the meeting

Vice Chair

Lauren: Not many updates, will work on appointed officers moving forward.

Campaign Chair

Wendy: ODs done well on action items. Can be found on Google Drive. Got word from UCR and UCSB that student workers were trying to strike prior to COVID-19. Still in process of collecting responses. Created survey that was sent to ODs, happy to put on board concerning issues that student workers are facing. Going to try to compile list of demands. Need more responses, if board can share survey, that'd be helpful. Want this representative. Created Slack for this group (UC Labor Coalition). Wanted to provide safe space for student workers to talk, great way to stay connected and provide a space to vent without it necessarily getting back to employers. Trying to stay a little low-key. Checked in with AFSCME and got word that one of their workers was detained. Checking in on status.

Johana: Consulted with Undocu Coalition?

Wendy: Not yet, planning on it. Joining undergrad committee for COLA. Wanted to set up safe space events for workers to speak on grievances, but now maybe not because virtual. More local advocacy starting. Taking this to county.

Varsha: Speaking on detained AFSCME, would love to have conversation once more updates are available.

UA Chair

[no chair]

GR Chair

Aidan: Hoping all are well. Difficult week. Working with coalition partners. Prior to SLC decision, recommended Hill Day cancellation. Acknowledge all the work people have done for these conferences. If the conferences did happen, they would have been amazing. Prior to primaries, continued with Prop 13 strategy. Loss disappointing, but still great work. Worked with staff to cancel SLC. Worked with regents/staff/Varsha for UCSA COVID-19 response. Board of Regents meeting on Prop 209 and banning SAT/ACT. Bit of revaluation of priorities moving forward.

CAC Chair

[not present]

Staff Reports: Executive Director

Anais: [presents report]

Policy Director

Ashraf: [presents report]

Government Relations Director

Parshan: [presentation report]

Statewide Organizing Director

Salih: [presents report]

Budget Approval or Postponement:

Draft Budget for 2020-21 Reference: **Line Item Draft**
Tiger & Anais

[tabled]

Future of UCSA/UC/UCOP Dashay Richmond

[Tech difficulties]

Break Roll Call

Campaign Committee Salih Muhammad

Salih: Want to give chairs ability to update, give update from staff, and COVID 19 update.

Note: Campaign Committee is a committee of the whole, all members vote.

- **Campaigns Chair Announcements, Adam Hatefi**

[Not present]

- **Report, Racial Justice Now Chair Kyndall Dowell**

[not present]

- **Report, ACQUIRE Chair**

[no current chair]

- **Report, Fund the UC Chair Daevionne Beasley**

Daevionne: Tried to make Prop 13 happen, did good social media movement. Shift back towards Summer CalGrant. A little stuck on how to move forward. Would love suggestions

- **Report, UCweVOTE Chair Rojina Borzorgnia**

Rojina: Reached out to Census, some emails sent out across UC, want to ensure students know they can use campus address in census

- **Planning and Work Session
Break**

Salih: ACA 5 presented by Assemblymember Webber. Be sensitive to the messaging when approaching this. Wants to emphasis focus on business/contracting/employment as opposed to higher ed. Has large impact on post education. Increase budget of SIP organizations, \$23 mil ask, good amount of lobbying. \$40mil SAPEP ask. For ACQUIRE, ask for system impacted students. \$10mil for undocu resources, \$6mil for foster youth, \$4mil for system impacted. [presentation]
Feedback?

Wendy: Need to evaluate if any priorities can be put aside- this crisis is hitting students hard. Many people struggling. In those three options that Salih presented, I wouldn't want to keep things exactly as they are. The board needs to do something about COVID-19. Hope that initiatives can be statewide but maybe not possible. Either complete overhaul or incorporate something in response, I think those two are best way forward. Hope that we don't maintain

things as usual. Have people reaching out, as they don't know how to pay rent/do many things that might be more possible later

Aidan: Fully agree. As much as these are ongoing priorities, we can't have business as usual approach. Some things cannot be top priority. We can play the role of coordinating on the ground on-campus responses with cohesion. Our job to make sure what's going well on one campus we can scale to others. COVID-19 response should be key feature of priorities. Need to re-evaluate to best serve students.

Johana: A lot going on. Big issue of ability to impact tuition, something that UCSA needs to clarify message for. Tuition should be reduced. More communication in how to move forward is important. Hesitant to follow the lead of what other universities outside of UC system because we are public. Need collaboration. Should regroup and intentionally think about how we work together. Need longer, more frequent talks. Situation evolving day by day. Not effective to regroup at the beginning of next month. Those are my thoughts right now.

Dashay: Agree that with so many things going on, as things are evolving, changes have opened my eyes to things. This is the time that we really need to step up- seems like blessing and curse, gives opportunity to get our shit together. Folks aware of everything and since we will be continuing virtual meetings, want to see possibilities in having more consistent meetings. Lot of room to work on this.

Salih: Create spreadsheet that has key areas where students may be impacted. Have spots for each EVP to write in on what admin has agreed to do/what has been proposed. If we do that, do EVPs have personal sense that we can put in a doc what is currently happening.

Varsha: Not speaking to one another until May not adequate. Available every two weeks, every week maybe for special meeting. Don't think every single member of board needs to attend but helpful to coordinate different things that are happening on each campus, would be happy to fill out that spreadsheet.

Dashay: Also think that would be good. Beneficial to see if there are any resources, on our campus some VPs created a campus wide spreadsheet of resources. Work on preparing for virtual. Momentum to accommodate student workers from virtual sense. Willing to participate in the spreadsheet.

Johana: Would be interested in more frequent conversations. Maybe specific focus on COVID response. Have been getting student feedback. Interested in working more collaboratively. A little weird that we are EVPs and CoP is doing it, not us. Want to reaffirm our abilities to communicate across network.

Salih: So meetings and spreadsheet. Are putting together some things for resources that are/are not available. Not sure if presidents or EVps are working on those resources.

Dashay: Only efforts happening thus far are minimal and from other VPs. Maybe work closely with CoP or UCGPC.

Parshan: As follow-up to Dashay's question, I know that campus basic needs centers are open. Ask what kind of conversation at UCI y'all have been having, maybe in touch with basic needs center, there are uncertain times and the one place still open are those centers.

Varsha: Want to ask that of the things I can do, I can have regular check-ins with OP and staff, are there any other things y'all would like to see from me? This is such a campus based response, am struggling to see what to do/what should be done

Johana: One concern from one student is there are payroll issues, such as paid leave issues. Maybe asking for more clarification on that process.

Josh: Speaking to president on plans for expansion for leave. Fear of what happens after two week leave.

Daevionne: Confusion as to who gets paid leave.

Wendy: Cross campus list of demands from student workers. Varsha, you could really help push this up, hoping to get people on the ground on each campus. Issues that student workers face have been strained from COVID-19. Many unanswered/unclear questions. Once the communities figure out what they need, you Varsha and everyone here can push that up. I know UCSA structure is very legislatively centered, but these efforts need to be community oriented specifically.

Varsha: Hearing that overarching issue is clarity for student workers on how claims/promises would function, as well as issues to resident assistance. Call scheduled to OP on Tuesday. Maybe I can try to get a letter going. CoP, UAW, UCGPC writing letter regarding student workers, we were hesitant to sign on because there was no mention of strikes/COLA.

Parshan: Thanks for bringing that up. It was very across the board concern that COLA not mentioned. Ashraf working on that, and in touch with UAW that that is a concern for us. Their timeline is to release by Monday or so, but that's a UA decision.

Varsha: I'd rather sign a letter that I feel solid about and sign it by myself

Parshan: Entirely up to you all. Encourage UA to go over the letter. It is an important letter.

Salih: Also want to bring up petition that got put out has an area that folks can give comment, hasn't gotten much circulation so if people can commit to send that around to as many folks as possible that would great. Recommend that CAC reach out to communities as to how they are being impacted so we don't miss getting a full picture of what's going on. Also want to go back to question concerning time/energy/budget ask. Choose \$23mil SAPEP and \$20mil for Undocu students/foster youth/system impacted students. Want an understanding- regarding leg would, should be continue to push for these?

Aidan: We should keep numbers where they are at, may run into difficulties but if we lower say 20 to 10, then legislature will just say 'well why don't you make that 5'. If numbers do get lowered later, we can negotiate, but in favor of keeping them where they are

Varsha: Would second that, not our responsibility to say no to ourselves. Now even more important. Advocacy might have to change. Want more clarity on what budget process even looks like.

Salih: Any other feedback?

Vincent: Echo what was said. In light of COVID, important to stick to commitments, especially with cancellation of SLC. Suggest elevating issues being faced to advocate for urgency.

Josh: Wondering if there is room to focus more heavily on continuing general operating budget. Fearful of layoffs. Maybe in addition to those budget asks, maybe re-up efforts for general funding

Aidan: Definitely. UC budget was approved by us in November. Up to us what level of support we are looking to put in. Share your worry of impacts in layoffs.

Salih: If there is nothing else, that's all I have to cover. Thank you all so much

Parshan: I have created Google Hangout

Anais: Already did this, it's in the agenda.

Dashay: Hop onto committee calls in 15.

Committee Breakouts: Campus Action, Government Relations, University Affairs Ratification of Committee Action Items

Dashay: Next is ratification of action items.

Lauren: [lists action items]

Wendy: [lists action items] Wondering if we will be moving forward with weekly calls, if we can include folks outside of UCSA?

Anais: Technically the meetings are open

Wendy: That is also a concern because we only had four ODs, missing representation from other campuses.

Aidan: [lists action items]

Dashay: For sure. We also elected a new UA chair, so congratulations Kamron. With that, are there any motions to approve these action items?

Rojina: Want to add item for ODs to ensure that UCWeVote coordinators input voter reg numbers to the Google Form that Anais made, sent that our earlier, will send out again in Slack.

Dashay: Any others?

Anais: Maybe add for you to put together the next meeting?

Dashay: Yeah for sure.

Lauren: Move to adopt

Varsha: Second

[no objections seen]

Dashay: All that we have. Motion to adjourn?

Wendy: Motion to adjourn

Vincent: Second

Dashay: Thanks y'all! Take care.

Action Item Check-In

Adjourn when concluded

Roll Call I

Position	Present?	Position	Present?	Position	Present?
UC Berkeley EVP	p	UC Merced EVP	a	UC Santa Cruz EVP	p
UC Berkeley LD	a	UC Merced LD	a	UC Santa Cruz LD	p
UC Berkeley OD	a	UC Merced OD	a	UC Santa Cruz OD	a
UC Davis EVP	a	UC Riverside EVP	p	Academic Affairs Officer	a
UC Davis LD	a	UC Riverside LD	p	Alumni Relations Officer	p
UC Davis OD	a	UC Riverside OD	a	Basic Needs Officer	a
UC Irvine EVP	p	UC San Diego EVP	p	Campus Climate Officer	a
UC Irvine LD	p	UC San Diego LD	p	Environmental Sustainability Officer	a
UC Irvine OD	a	UC San Diego OD	a	Financial Aid Advocacy Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad EVP	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad EVP	p	International Students Affairs Officer	a
UCLA Undergrad LD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad LD	p	Labor Relations Officer	a
UCLA Undergrad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad OD	p	Underrepresented Students Officer	a
UCLA Grad EVP	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad EVP	a	Transfer Student Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Grad LD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad LD	a	CFO	p
UCLA Grad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad OD	a		

Roll Call II

Position	Present?	Position	Present?	Position	Present?
UC Berkeley EVP	p	UC Merced EVP	a	UC Santa Cruz EVP	p
UC Berkeley LD	p	UC Merced LD	a	UC Santa Cruz LD	p
UC Berkeley OD	a	UC Merced OD	a	UC Santa Cruz OD	a
UC Davis EVP	a	UC Riverside EVP	p	Academic Affairs Officer	a

UC Davis LD	a	UC Riverside LD	p	Alumni Relations Officer	p
UC Davis OD	a	UC Riverside OD	a	Basic Needs Officer	a
UC Irvine EVP	p	UC San Diego EVP	a	Campus Climate Officer	a
UC Irvine LD	p	UC San Diego LD	a	Environmental Sustainability Officer	a
UC Irvine OD	p	UC San Diego OD	a	Financial Aid Advocacy Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad EVP	a	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad EVP	p	International Students Affairs Officer	a
UCLA Undergrad LD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad LD	p	Labor Relations Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad OD	p	Underrepresented Students Officer	p
UCLA Grad EVP	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad EVP	a	Transfer Student Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Grad LD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad LD	a	CFO	p
UCLA Grad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad OD	a		