

# Board Meeting Agenda

July 12, 2020

Participants and members of the public can join at:

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/670791533>

Or by phone: 1-669-900-6833

Meeting ID: 670 791 533

## Notices:

- Make requests in advance for disability accommodations by contacting [ed@ucsa.org](mailto:ed@ucsa.org).
- These meetings are public and may be recorded.
- Request to add agenda items 10 days before the meeting at <https://ucsa.org/air/>.

## Sunday Agenda (times are approximate):

2:00 PM (5 min)

Chair's Welcome

Dashay: Hope everyone is doing well, please take care of yourself and stay hydrated.

2:05 PM (15 min)

Public Comment

Dashay: Any members of the public wishing to speak? [none seen]

2:20 PM (5 min)

Roll Call; Adoption of the Agenda; [Approval of Previous Minutes](#)

Lauren: [roll call]

Dashay: Thank you, next is adopting the agenda. Any suggested amendments?

Varsha: Move to adopt

Rojina: Second

[no objections seen]

Dashay: Passed. Next is approval of minutes. Any motions?

Varsha: Move to approve

Josh: Second

[no objections seen]

2:25 PM (35 min)

Guest Reports (if present)

- Student Regent, Student Regent Designate

Varsha: We are early, possible they are not here

- UC Graduate Professional Council

Gwen: Hi! Rising 5th PhD candidate at UCD. Working with Varsha and Aidan, and was also member on student advisory committee for presidential search. For those new, UCGPC is grad counterpart of UCSA. In 2017, we split off from UCSA, because there are some unique concerns of grad students that aren't necessarily shared with undergrads. Hope to continue the great working relationships with her successor. Some things we are working on are policing and international students. Ban on students possible from president. Large response to everything going on so we hope to see traction. Also working with student policing and general campus safety. Concerned with basic needs/mental health. Something like 40% of grad/PhD students experience different mental issues. Concerned with mentorship standards towards UC. Then general housing/pay. Going to be a busy year but hope we can work together where appropriate. Questions?

Syreeta: Any unique concerns around disabled grad students?

Gwen: Great question. PhD degrees- first 1-2 years are coursework, then almost exclusively research. Most disability offices don't really have clear set of guidelines for what that looks like. So how to accommodate different students who may be able to be in a lab environment/advance in a "normative time". Began by including disabilities in emergency planning. Would hope that we can advance on some of these other issues. Not really something that many offices have good/best practice solutions for for graduate students. Not to say it's impossible, but we are not there yet.

Dashay: Any other questions? [none seen]. Thank you so much. Next Michael is here so you have the floor.

- Council on Student Fees

Yongqi: My name is Yongqi, 5th year undergrad at Berkeley, chair on council of student fees for this year. Excited to work with all of you. Under normal circumstances, I'd be giving updates, but because we have not met yet, I thought it would be a good opportunity to explain what we do and how this work intersects. [presents slides]. Questions?

Dashay: Thank you, any questions/comments/concerns/rants? Okay thank you so much.

- Representatives from UC Unions

Michael: Hi, rep of AFSCME 3299, representing union for skill trade workers, hospital workers, etc. Will be in this space often, this past year UCSA did give endorsement for insourcing of workers, sometimes we work well, and sometimes it's a struggle. Last year was a struggle for getting that endorsement. This past week, our interns have been giving presentations to UC system- facing situation where 3000+ families are being laid off. As of now, we have over 200 layoffs in our unit, mostly at UCSD Dining. In the past week or so, they've begun giving layoffs to hospital workers, helping with COVID. At UCR, there are around 60 layoffs, additional 20 in parking services. Some of these are potentially temporary layoffs. UC has liquidated \$2bil of the \$40 bil that UC has. Highly encourage students to fight for tuition reimbursement. \$3095, or 30% of winter/spring would still provide plenty of money to the UC. What the UC is doing has the possibility of breaking our union. There has been a gap in endorsements from groups such as UCSA. Hospital agreed to hire more, but campus is not allowing it. Campus is threatening to fire our members. We are fighting it to ensure the 20 workers at UCLA get better job protections. Outsourcing was the cause of terrible wage inequities, with women receiving less. We have the ability to fight through our contract, and will be doing so as best as we can. With ACA 14 we would have had better means of fighting, but I hope to get to know the rest of you over this year. We will be in contact working with affirmative action and some other things. Otherwise, I think that's the quick rough update. Any questions?

Dashay: Anybody? [none seen]. Thank you very much.

- UC Office of the President

[No reps seen]

3:00 PM (15 min)

Outgoing Executive Officer Reports (if present):

[President](#)

Varsha: As background, I do slide decks for the Board because it's a little more transparent than talking at you and hoping you remember things. [presents slides]

Kymberly: Are there any other things you see that international students can do?

Varsha: just sharing the bit.ly for now, but we're waiting on legislation and other things

Aidan: Channy, the previous international students officer was also great so maybe get in connection that way.

Varsha: Will continue sending updates, feel free to send any emails.

Chair

Dashay: Thank you. I don't necessarily have a presentation. I felt a lot of stress because COVID is impacting everyone, wanted to attest to that. Please take care of yourselves, it is sad that we have to feel sorry to know that we are overworked. Everyone is passionate about UCSA, but it's a family and the more understand you are with each

other, it does help expedite the work, especially this year. Please take care of yourselves, going back to personal note, trying to improve collaboration with the state and UCSA so we can be more collaborative and work on what we all do so we can have more of our voices heard within our campuses, we can give students seats to sit on committees and if you want to look at the idea of it, you can look at previous agendas. Will be hoping to propose some bylaw amendments. As bylaw amendments are hard to do, yeah. More info on that coming soon. Any questions, please feel free to reach out.

CFO

[Tiger not here]

Vice Chair

Lauren: Working on exec and these minutes.

Campaigns Chair

[Adam not here]

UA Chair

Kamron: Not much of any update. For all the EVPs, Ashraf sent out email for call this upcoming week for UA. There are a lot of things y'all can start with. For whoever wants to replace me, it'd be really great for us to sit down and talk so you can get a gist of what my responsibilities include. Then just working with exec.

GR Chair

Aidan: A lot of GR updates were through emails. Recapping past two months, we had big wave with ACA 5 in legislature. Thanks to new EVPs and outgoing board active on this. Strong UC showing. Continued engagement with Opportunity4All Coalition. Also been active with fighting some federal restrictions on int'l students. Sent out letter opposing proposal to end OPT program. Statement on immigration restriction on certain Chinese int'l students. Past week very active in pushing UC to sue and oppose ICE rules. Last Wednesday I hosted along with Channy a strategy call with int'l student leaders around UC campuses, and some EVPs as well. If you'd like to see the slides with judicial/academic/other tactics I'll send that out. With last GR committee, final thing I'm working on is working with different outgoing members and compiling info for next GR chair so next committee can be more effective than we were last year.

CAC Chair

[Wendy not here]

3:15 PM (5 min)

Notice of Meeting Action Item Tracking (at bottom of agenda)

Anais: Just wanted folks to see that as action items come up, they go in the agenda and will compile in each new agenda. When we pick action item, we pick a deadline and who will do it, then next meeting we check in to see if it's done/ the progress.

3:20 PM (5 min)

Collection of Board Member Disclosure Forms

Possible Action to Extend Deadline to August Meeting

Anais: Yesterday we spoke on calendar/conferences. Mentioned hotel. Hotel offered us no penalty postponement for future conferences, so instead of having it when scheduled, we can have a future date. Two dates available, one is last weekend in Jan. In consulting with Salih, we're not going to try to postpone the actual SOS, that'll be online. But we could use that date for SOCC. Another option is next year's student organizing summit there. There are pros/cons to both. Pro to Jan. is that we can host the conference, finish the contract, give up the opportunity to shop around for a better hotel rate. Earlier we fill that contract, the cheaper it is. It is wise to not have to lock up a

potential contract for longer. Con is if we're still in this situation in Jan and you can't host then, we will have to have this conversation again about moving it virtual and postponing to a future date. Other can is it would mean SOCC is more expensive than usual because usually it's hosted on campus. However it's small because we wouldn't be spending money on SOS. Might be a better experience in a hotel though. For the August option, the date is Aug 6-8, so that's about a week earlier than usual. That would also lock us into that for a year. Hopefully though, we won't have to worry about COVID. Those are two options with hotels. In consulting with Salih, I'll let you know that we have a preference for January, but this is your decision. I'm going to pause for discussion.

Dashay: To keep a tracker, please list your name in the chat

Anais: We can use the raise hand function.

Vincent: Thank you all. Thanks for putting this together, don't know if you can open the link for everyone to see.

Anais: I can, but it's a separate issue.

Vincent: Definitely want to touch base on dates when we get to that, but regarding the hotel contract, I would be onboard with exploring both proposals but want to flag COVID. I'm not sure if January 2021 is suitable for reopening/having a large scale conference. I would be more open to postpone for next year's SOS and working with a campus to host SOCC.

Josh: Questions- is there a slated campus for SOCC and regarding the decision itself, is it possible to delay again if January doesn't end up working out

Anais: The way SOCC works is we will typically ask in August if any campus can host, if it not, it goes alphabetically. Thus, Berkeley would be the host and then it moves down the line if one is not available. The second question is what happens in January. Most likely they would give us the same option of picking a future date. The hard part is that they only gave me these options this week, only a month before the scheduled date, so we are working on a tight timeline.

Aidan: Appreciate the insight. I concur with Vincent. For the certainty of the event, it might be better to plan for an online conference at this date. Having a sense of certainty it might be more valuable to communities we are inviting

Varsha: I agree. I would recommend deferring the contract to August of next year, maybe we can develop 3 potential plans for SOCC, one campus hosted, one online, etc. That way we can go with the most conservative option for the time.

Syreeta: One thought I had was adding an additional layer, so not just one campus hosting SOCC, it could be multiple campuses so it's smaller events, we can livestream, students will be together but much smaller.

Anais: I don't want to get too much into what SOCC will look like.

Syreeta: I agree that we should defer to January or August.

Vincent: I agree with Varsha's suggestions, there are still restrictions

Anais: If it's okay with Board, I know Salih has opinions and plans those conferences

Salih: I'm good

Vincent: Move to postpone UC SOS contract to August 2021, and adopt Varsha's recommendations to develop 2-3 plans for SOS.

Varsha: Friendly amendment to have board make that decision in September/October

Vincent: I accept

Roman: Second

[No objections seen]

3:25 PM (25 min)

Postponing UCSOS Hotel Contract; Approval of [2020-21 Event Dates](#)

*Anais Lieu*

Anais: At first meeting every year you need to adopt the schedule for the year. [presents dates]. As soon as we are able to travel, we will amend this to board meeting/retreat. Any discussion?

Josh: Do you happen to know if SLC dates are at beginning or end of Spring break?

Anais: Always at beginning. Other discussion?

Vincent: Quick question- UC or individual campuses decide winter travel won't work, we will revisit dates?

Anais: We didn't get to go to UCR this year so that's why you have February. If there is no travel allowed, then it will be virtual.

Aidan: Move to approve these dates

Vincent: Second

[No objections seen]

3:50 PM (15 min)

### [Ballot Endorsements](#)

*Joshua Lewis, Aidan Arasasingham*

Aidan: This Fall on Nov. 3, CA in addition to nat'l election, we have a state election. Number of different ballot measures. Big one is Prop 16, which is one of our top priorities. I'll let Josh, who is labor relations go over recommendations.

Josh: [presents doc]. Any questions?

Alecia: Isn't this based on predictive policing tech?

Aidan: This relates to Senate Bill 10. With the money you have you can bail people out. This disproportionately affects low income people of color. The reason we support the bill, not proposition is this is a thinly veiled attempt to bring back these bail systems.

Varsha: SB10 was not perfect.

Vincent: Move to adopt

Josh: Second

[No objections seen]

Parshan: Prop 25 has been a controversial one, there have been dynamic conversations

Varsha: If you want to take this back and make sure everything is right, I'm happy to make that motion.

Vincent: Would this just be to change the proposition stance for now on Prop 25.

Varsha:

Yes

Vincent: I'd be on board

Varsha: Move to change our stance on Prop 25 to pending, and ask Parshan to check in coalition partners regarding their positions on it and how they navigate the bail bond industry and bring it back next meeting

Rojina: Second

Lex: I do want to speak up on this as an objection

Dashay: Additional objections? Lauren, do we still go into debate

Lauren: Yes

Lex: I understand there are definite problems, but I think we need to be hardcore on ending cash bail, I personally think it's one of the most insane things. If you look at the people opposing this measure, it's pretty much just bail companies. I don't see people trying to get a more humane treatment because this isn't good enough, I can only find those who want to keep cash bail in place objecting. I think it would be foolish to be against this because we're allying ourselves with companies we don't support.

Dashay: Anyone wanting to speak? Varsha since you're pro, do you want to speak

Anais: Dashay you don't have to go back and forth

Alecia: I work with many black groups on the ground, and in my experience, there's continued discussion on this issue and I don't think it's a closed case. Putting things in the hands of judges may seem more equitable isn't necessarily the best practice. I think it would be jumping the gun to immediately put in endorsement.

Parshan: I appreciate what folx are discussing here, before we get into this, there are a lot of perspectives. The easy fix is going to the sponsors of the bill and see where they are at and come back. I know this is a tough subject so let me just check in.

Varsha: I'll add to that, one of the reasons we wanted to do this is just to make sure we're on top of initiatives. This one is not something where an additional couple weeks will hurt. Just want to make sure we're reflecting board consensus.

Dashay: Roll call?

Anais: EVPs, if you can just use the yes/no function, or post it in the thread, or call roll.

Dashay: Let's call roll

Lex: Point of information, can't we do a voice vote.

Anais: it's difficult in zoom.  
Lex: Gotcha  
Lauren: [Calls roll] 9-0-0 pass.

4:05 PM (25 min)

#### [UCSA Systemwide Fee Update](#)

*Varsha Sarveshwar*

Varsha: This is the long awaited systemwide fee presentation [presents slides]. Questions?

Valerie: As far as our \$1.62 structure and you mentioned the loss of power based on inflation, do you know the adjustment?

Anais: So that is the inflation amount, the problem is that the amount hasn't changed since 2005, so it hasn't been updated in 13-14 years. Buying power has gone down seeing that we represent more students and things we spend money on are above the pace of inflation. So not just regulation costs, but conferences are thousands more.

Varsha: [continues presentation] Questions?

Syreeta: Going back to 501c(3), is that you suggesting that we do that?

Varsha: So we are currently a 501c(3), so the idea is just for us to have more money. That's how it's been the past few years.

Alia: Wanted to say that UCSB specifically would be in support of this, this is an issue that's come up regarding us being the highest paying campus. I would be open to pushing this.

Aidan: I was gonna add that another important framing for this is us looking to our unions for leadership and advocating and constituencies. In some ways, we do the same. There are folks that jokingly call us the student union, but we've never been funded like a students' union. That has led to some levels of inequities from paying students, staff, etc.

Vincent: Negotiation process that led up to the work group. Are there any concerns you can flag, such as our ability to take stance on ballot measures. There are things we've explored such as CSSA, but any other things that we can consider to get autonomy over UC

Varsha: Kind of flagged this earlier, but there is not a standard in losing autonomy. I would consider that to be out of line. Other things, such as ballot initiatives should be of concern. I can understand why we might not be able to donate money to these measures, which in some part already exist, but I would have a huge problem not being able to endorse at all. I have basically said that we should retain that. Another thing to think about is something like CSSA, where their staff are CSU employees. In that situation, if you were to confide an incident with staff, they would be mandated reporters. Currently they are able to give resources, and not necessarily have to do that. I don't believe that is a condition of their fee however- that situation was preexisting their fee. We have other accountability measures that we can take without that avenue.

Syreeta: I had a thought. Since we are a 501c(3) and we've been around, can we accept philanthropic donations from alumni?

Varsha: Nothing legally stops us from soliciting donations from alumni

Anais: We have not actively tried, but we are able to do so.

Varsha: The concern for me in that is the limitations and fluctuations- it's not reliable and people donating could have other motivations

Alia: I know one of the issues you raised was mandated reporters. Wanted to clarify in that this year, Title IX was changed so it is not longer that anyone working for the university being a mandated reporter.

Varsha: I stand corrected and appreciate you bringing that up. We did flag how Title IX might be involved, so I will look into that more. I also may need to update UC because I think we were all saying that

Vincent: Question on the open seat in the work group- is that a full board or?

Varsha: That is a new president decision so I will not speculate on that.

Alia: Motion to move back to prop positions

Naomi: Second

4:55 PM (25 min)

Open [Nominations](#) for Executive Officers Election

*Anais Lieu*

Anais: Yesterday we spoke on exec positions/how to run. These must be made and seconded, and accepted by nominee. This can happen now or by email. You can nominate yourself but it does have to be seconded. This will end prior to the voting period so there is an opportunity to make nominations at August meeting. Anyone can make nominations for committee chair, but only members of committee vote/run. You can run for multiple positions, but once you win, you cannot run again

[Nominations were made]

Anais: Again you can email nominations, please read the bylaws if you're running for a position. That's it.

5:20 PM (5 min)

Action Item Check-In

Dashay: [read action items]

Varsha: Add Parshan to follow up please

Dashay: Motions?

Rojina: Move to adopt

Varsha: Second

[no objections]

Dashay: Thanks so much for calling in, have a great one.

Varsha: Move to adjourn

Alia: Second

[no objections seen]

*Adjourn when concluded*

#### Meeting Action Items

The action item(s) below were discussed and ratified at this meeting. This Action Item Checklist is for UCSA board members and staff. Please complete every action item as listed below prior to attending the next UCSA Board of Directors Meeting.

July 2020

Action Item	When is it due?	Who will do it?	Was it done? (Review at next meeting)

Roll Call I

Position	Present?	Position	Present?	Position	Present?
UC Berkeley EVP	p	UC Riverside EVP	p	Academic Affairs Officer	a
UC Berkeley LD	p	UC Riverside LD	p	Alumni Relations Officer	p
UC Berkeley OD	p	UC Riverside OD	p	Basic Needs Officer	p
UC Davis EVP	p	UC San Diego EVP	p	Campus Climate Officer	p
UC Davis LD	p	UC San Diego LD	p	Environmental Sustainability Officer	a
UC Davis OD	a	UC San Diego OD	a	Financial Aid Advocacy Officer	p
UC Irvine EVP	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad EVP	p	International Students Affairs Officer	p
UC Irvine LD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad LD	p	Labor Relations Officer	p
UC Irvine OD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad OD	p	Underrepresented Students Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad EVP	p	UC Santa Barbara Grad EVP	a	Transfer Student Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad LD	p	UC Santa Barbara Grad LD	a	CFO	a
UCLA Undergrad OD	p	UC Santa Barbara Grad OD	a		
UC Merced EVP	p	UC Santa Cruz EVP	p		
UC Merced LD	p	UC Santa Cruz LD	p		
UC Merced OD	p	UC Santa Cruz OD	p		