

Board Meeting Agenda

Jan. 11-12, 2020, UC Santa Cruz

Notices:

- Make requests in advance for disability accommodations by contacting ed@ucsa.org.
- These meetings are public and recorded (either through video or audio).
- Request to add agenda items 10 days before the meeting at <https://ucsa.org/air/>.

Saturday Agenda (times are approximate):

10:00 AM (5 min) 10:05 AM (15 min) 10:20 AM (5 min) 10:25 AM (5 min) 10:30 AM (25 min)

10:55 AM (15 min) 11:10 AM (20 min) 11:30 AM (20 min) 11:50 PM (15 min) 12:05 PM (30 min) 12:35 PM (20 min) 12:55 PM (20 min)

1:15 PM (45 min) 2:00 PM (5 min) 2:05 PM (20 min)

Host Campus Welcome

Dashay: Thanks for coming.

Lauren: Restrooms out to the left, thank you for coming, have a great meeting

Public Comment

Dashay: Anyone wishing to speak? [none seen]

Roll Call; Adoption of the Agenda; Approval of Previous Minutes Review Previous Meeting Action Items

Aidan: Question- when is Anais here? [tomorrow] no amendments

Vincent: Rebranding?

Dashay: Yes, got it. Any others? [none seen] Next- review previous meeting action items? [reads through]. Mauna Kea? How's that looking? Cal EVP updates?

Varsha: In communication, looking at best strategy to move forward

Adam: No updates

Dashay: Shared email, nothing bad, looking for more outreach

UCLA Proxy: No updates

Liz: Shared the letter with the folx in our center on campus. Gone back and rechecked any mistakes, figuring out how to approach interim chancellor

Riverside: Still working

SD: No updates

SB: No updates

SC: No updates

Dashay: Sharing and signing petition concerning Dignity Health- did everybody share the petition?

Varsha: Petition is still open, still working on letter, I can reshare it

Dashay: We'll get the info back out this meeting. Any campuses not sending delegation to regents meeting? [none seen]. Next- taking board pictures- I hope y'all came looking cute. We'll do it today. Send out November written reports via email- that was done. Help mediate GR relationship w/UCLA, look at accountability for appointed officers

Lauren: Still working on that document

Vincent: Question on the last action item. Is that going to be a bylaw or document?

Lauren: Working on job description so that will clearly define the line between appointed officers and EVPs, also working with Anais to determine where funding asks would come from if an appointed officer wanted to travel

Dashay: Any campus that did not fill out the mid-year audit survey? Too late, but wanted to check in. Everyone spoke on rebranding. Next is working with university to approve budget asks- Varsha?

Varsha: In progress

Dashay: Working on appointed officer terms with them?

Lauren: DId that

Dashay: Next, bringing UCWeVote and FUTC coordinators? People did that. Reach out to int'l students- still have to work on that.

Guest Reports (if present)

● Student Regent, Student Regent Designate

Dashay: this is tomorrow

● Council on Student Fees

Dashay: That will be read to y'all

● Representatives from UC Unions

Liz: They are here but at the wrong building, will be here soon

Refilwe: Had trouble finding the room. Thank you for giving us the time. Represent 26,000 employees

Michael: Hi

Refilwe: Open ended strike this week info

Michael: Signalling start to an end. Regents state that they have no ability to affect. Janet and John Perez have now attended all bargaining sessions. Whispers of next plans and K7 strikes showing what's next. Working on next steps with Parshan. UCSA endorsement helped. Thank you for taking the time to meet with us and hearing us out.

Refilwe: Under AFSCME, we have service unit, patient care, dining halls, also have unit at Hasting for clerical. UCSC is the only school with skill, craft workers. On strike until they get a contract. K7 been without contract for 2 years. 49 employees that fix plumbing, hot water, bathrooms, electrical. These people are fighting for a fair contract. First open ended strike at a UC. Questions?

Aidan: For ACA 14, I know a lot of our campuses have been working, are there any plans for an action or anything that we can be a part of?

Michael: Still working on the case and whatnot, don't have any dates myself. Energy I felt from y'all was the highlight to the end of my year. Has impacted our unit and will continue working. Thank you. Longer it goes, more difficult it is to schedule trips up to Sac.

Liz: People are hearing of these things, Fresno State asked us about it, things happening in the UC. Having those conversations that people are recognizing it is great, if you need anything from us, please let us know.

● UC Office of the President

No reps seen

Executive Officer Reports:

President

Varsha: More formal presentation. Continuing fix financial aid coalition. Jointly worked on/released statement to call on governor for budget. Working on UC Budget that regents helped approve. Parshan helped with priorities from other students that were communicated to regents. Dignity Health issues- had call with ACLU NorCal to submit comment to regents, emphasize opposition to working w/companies against our values. Did budget lobbying day during finals week. Worked with Aidan on Prop 13 advocacy on March 3. Opportunity for us to really get involved. Campaign for College Opportunities Dean's List Award. Call with Julie Waters, lunch meeting with President, call w/financial aid group. Last year academic senate approved proposal to extend science requirements. Lot of folks concerned on it so I will be speaking on it. Asking for more info from President. Opposed to tightening requirements for HS students b/c can make less accessible. UC has #SpeechMatters in D.C. that I will be speaking on to represent the issues we at the UC are facing. Kyndall wanted me to convey Black Lobby Day= February 18, 2020 at capitol to lobby. EVPs are responsible to bring people out, hoping for at least 100 black students to lobby. Think now about how much this will cost to send 10-15 students. Genuinely invest in this. Incredibly important to take this seriously and invest in it. Questions?

Kaelen: Packet for what we are lobbying for? Scheduling by individual campuses?

Salih: Last year, it was on EVP offices. Myself and Parshan put together the packet. Supporting black folks and students of color. In partnership with black students and black organizations. Make sure folks are making the logistical arrangements.

Varsha: Staff and GR will make sure you have all the info you need. Make sure you have the ability to send students and have the money to do this. Some campuses genuinely budget constrained. Put on radar that this is something to think about

Liz: In application, you put the campus you're from. Am I contacting them with RJN coordinator or?

Salih: We took care of initial outreach to students in collab with local BSU office.

Vincent: When can we expect to have the app out?

Salih: Before end of week

Vincent: Allowed to actively promote?

Varsha: Plug it with Kyndall and staff.

Aidan: We will be covering this in GR meeting tomorrow

Davis OD: Application already available?

Varsha: Yes but we will be promoting it and perfecting it in the next week.

Chair

Dashay: Next me. Don't have any updates, believe in Nov/Dec was asked to be panelist on Free My Future Summit. Financial aid literacy program, it was cool, lot of different orgs, as turnout wasn't overwhelming, lot of good information

CFO

Dashay: Tiger is on the livestream. Gonna call him to see if he can-

Varsha: He sent me his report. Hello, my name is Tiger. He got very sick, told him to stay home. "Hey all, hope had great break. Reaching out to various board members about the meeting. Remind your offices to pay us." Will be shared via email. "Great conversations on potential future partnerships. Thanks to Kayla for info. Pro staff diligent in fiscal spending. Little behind looking for outside opportunities."

Vice Chair

Lauren: Meeting to develop appointed officer description. Met with all officers. Drafting language. Working on further collaboration

Campaign Chair

Adam: Discussed Prop 13. Meeting with Alonde Jose (?) brought up UCSA's asks on the budget side. Met with Varsha and Dashay on props. Couple of budget consultation calls as a part of exec.

UA Chair

Liz: Good morning everyone. UC Regents meeting in 2 weeks. Reminding EVPs about those. First week of class for some, difficult for us in Week 1. If possible, send in public comments. In UA, discussing agenda for meeting w/student affairs. Friendly reminder that Napolitano is first week of February. If something that you want to suggest, reach out to myself or Ashraf.

GR Chair

Aidan: Hope all had good break. Kim, Varsha and I had budget advocacy day, got some good insights. Invest in student priorities good conversation. Parshan and I following closely with Governor's budget release. Over break, 1:1 calls with GR committee, got sense of what was going well, what we can improve on. Commitments on advocacy days and Sac/DC advocacy trips. Student Free Transit Bill and Prop 13 folks for partners. Presentation from Prop 13 campaign. Worked with rebranding committee, in GR going over proposed lobby day calendar. Questions/input feel free to let me know.

CAC Chair

Wendy: Reaching out to AFSCME for ACA 14 updates. Checking in with ODs, sense of what we can improve on. Most organizers need a bit more training. Salih and I will likely hold training next month. Let you know soon. Send ODs and Campaign Coordinators to learn organizing skills. Have been leaving campaigns behind. Need to push those forward. As a whole, missing fundamental organizing skills. Keep this on your radar, make sure on your budget, if separate budget issue, talk to me about it. Keep in mind that next month at some point more info to come. Requirement to send OD and campaign coordinator. Reach out if anyone else interested.

Dashay: Meaning to send this out. Main purpose of hosting it then is b/c CHESNA conference. Uplift fact that another conference will happen within our student government for higher education/equity conference. Asking if folks want to include attending that conference like when we have SLC and then go to Board Meeting afterwards. Would folks want to incorporate that into the agenda?

Liz: For me, I'd want more info. SLC our meetings are like 6-midnight. Access to more info about times/agendas to make decision

UCI: For Higher ed, don't know if open to other UCs b/c budget was cut in half. Will let you know

Dashay: Just throwing this out there. Would folks be open to this? Raise hands if so. [most raise hands]

Staff Reports:

Executive Director

Ashraf: Have not seen her report, likely presenting tomorrow

Policy Director

Ashraf; Thanks to all of you, we have nominated candidates for 4 committees. Opted to not suggest for Public Engagement Committee b/c not enough candidates. Hearing back in the next week attendance/hearing back. Cohesive advocacy effort with regents. Last year assumption that we would have student observers but Anne Shaw said there was nothing spoken on. Might want advocacy on that. Weren't in capacity to advocate based on application numbers. In future years, I hope there is more of a push for apps. Next, completed talking points for regents meeting. Still conversation about budget increase. UCOP signalled there may be conversation on tuition increase/cohort tuition model. Staffed house services meeting, ran workshop, College for all coalition meeting, met with CSSA to discuss fixing financial aid. Systemwide basic needs committee at Berkeley was attended. Sunsetting in November as it was 2 year committee. Had conversation with Hailey if she wanted renewal. Mentioned to potentially allow it to sunset. Makes this active

conversation in board space. Following with that unless different opinions in the space. Disappointed that our asks were not supported in budget. Continuing to build relationship

Government Relations Director

[see link to check report]

Statewide Organizing Director

Salih: Took vacation that was necessary. Black Lobby Day coming up. Kyndall wants to see it as a 2 day affair to train for lobby efforts, and then lobby the following day. Last year was 1 day, tight with the shorter lobby training session. Goal is 2 day. Most applications next weekend at the ABC conference. Worked on campaign targets. MSA West Steering Committee invitation- has not traditionally been a part of UCSA. Working with Wendy to support ODs- looking for training. Prop 209- thanks to last year, made good contacts. Made sure UCSA was part of leading steering group. Making progress. Brought to tricauus. Group working with looking to launch repeal prop 209 group. Work at legislative level does not happen disregarding folks.

Liz: Question about Black Lobby Day- can alum apply?

Salih: I don't know. Don't have personal opposition/support, up to your campus

Vincent: Monday the 17th which is a holiday- would that be the training day?

SASA Gender Bias Summit

Kaelen: Not part of this- started by Alia and Emily. Since no one is here right now, I will be discussing the gender bias summit. Clause last year struck down about punishment for gender bias. Struck down b/c no formal state definition for gender bias so it cannot exist. We need to make a legal definition, and UCSB-

Ashraf: Emily is in the building, will be here in just a sec.

Dashay: We will take brief recess until they arrive.

Julie: Hi my name is Julie, UCSB representative for SASA. SASA's mission is to provide education and resources to allies and victims. Recognize systemic flaws of gender and racial problems.

Emily: Overall we advocate on the local and legislation level to support students and implement policies

Julie: Gender Bias, often confused with gender discrimination, has not been defined by the state of california, so there's no way to

Emily: Can't implement policies on gender bias b/c no definition

Julie: Gender Bias=implicit beliefs individuals have about gender, aids in gender discrimination. Example is mothers are seen as the primary caregivers, this manifests in unequal pay in the workforce. So the problem is there's no legal definition-hard to implement these policies. As a result, legislator cannot implement statutes concerning the effects of gender bias in the workplace. It cannot be adequately addressed. Definition is necessary. So the objective of this summit is to convene experts, researches and students, which has moved from UCSB to UCSC and SB City College is to mitigate the impacts of gender bias. This includes defining, coalition to implement this definition on the legislative and UC framework, assemble student leaders and staff experts, encourage gender and gender nonconforming equity and safety.

Emily: Just to give brief background, last year, bill was introduced to implement gender bias training which had to be stricken as a result of lack of definition. Trying to convene experts in the field to create inclusive and cohesive language. Commitment from UCSB funding wise from President and EVP office for funds. Expect to have around \$20+,000. Want help in solidifying this as a UC wide effort regarding endorsement, posting on social media, helping create connections with those who we may not have access to, ie. Title IX director to make it collaborative. Questions?

Ash: Have y'all worked with the CARE offices at all?

Emily: Close with CARE on UCSB campus, coordinating UC wide effort.

Roman: Bringing in orgs or?

Emily: Ideally want EVP offices to put aside some funds, send students over. More people better

Valerie: Providing materials to campus leaders to promote sending students? Fliers/info? Someone just hearing about it might not know what gender bias is.

Emily: Planning on providing fliers/distributing

Valerie: That would be great!

Emily: Gonna pass around a sheet for who would be the contact for SASA

Ash: hope is for summit at UCSB?

Vincent: Do you know the bill number?

Emily: AB381 during 2019.

Liz: Is contact sheet EVPs?

Emily: Yes please.

Liz: Mentioned the conversation started with CARE office. If I reach out to them would that be a good team to work with? Is the hope to have administrators or?

Emily: Definitely hopeful that CARE reps will be there. If that's a conversation starter/they want to attend, we'd be happy in that

Ash: Recommend reaching out to Vagina Monologues (?). Great resource, usually produced in April.

Dashay: Any other questions? [none seen]

UC-wide SAAM Lobbying Day

Emily: So this is also something we're very excited to talk about. UC Wide Sexual Assault Lobby Day. Send students to Sac for/against policies pertaining to sexual assault. For brief background, this is something that happened for first time last year. Put together list of 6 bills that we are for/against. Met w/legislative staff, lobbied, etc. Bills for: SB493, SB 22, AB 538, AB381, AB1000. All signed into law. Bill against= SB673, lobbied against, reintroduced this year. Opt in vs Opt Out sex ed bill. Want to collab to make this UC wide effort. Very positive effort, offices reached out to speak with us. We hope to achieve advanced policies that prevent sexual violence, provide/expand resources for sexual assault survivors. UC wide effort solidification. Show commitment to protect our students. Establish pro relationship with legislators to continue conversations and have direct influence on policies that have impact on student safety. Very prominent on college campuses, makes sense that students are engaged with legislators.

Vincent: Q for Aidan- any bills this year if UCSA has already created stance?

Emily: Endorsed 493?

Aidan: Endorsed 493, cosponsor on 381.

Emily: 493 is compatible with federal Title IX regulations.

Aidan: Thank you for presentation. Chair our government relations committee. Parshan raised possibility of this. Tomorrow we are approving our lobby days, yours will be considered. Clarify dates- April 13-16? Same ones he talked with you about? Fully willing and excited to work with this.

Emily: Hadn't spoken on specific dates, want to speak with UCSB Lobby Corps

Kaelen: All of April basically blocked out for this.

Aidan: Motion to include SAAM in our lobby days

Kaelen: Second

[no objections seen]

UCSA Board Headshots Vincent/Dashay

Vincent: Part of rebranding effort, working with Dashay and Lauren, please take this time to fill out bios in Google Form, if any of your office is not here, please let me know so I can coordinate taking separate photos later

[Headshots taken outside]

Vincent: Thank you for the photos, UCWeVote please come with me and we can begin facilitating goals.

Budget & UC Regents Meeting Varsha Sarveshwar

Varsha: Thank you all. Make sure aware of UC budget. Motion to officially decide we are not using livestream.

Ash: Second

Varsha: Presented budget on Jan. 10, last date for Governor to submit. \$217.7mil increase. Ongoing funds. \$345,000 for immigrant legal services which is less than we and others are asking for. \$55.3mil one time, most going to UCD animal services. Key takeaways: short of what the UC was asking for. Initial proposal usually lowballs for room to negotiate. Lot of room w/Governor to negotiate on important points for students. Tuition- No language on tuition/keeping tuition flat. Maybe not willing to get into tuition conversation. Both UC/CSU presidents resigning, leadership in flux may not want to engage. Stated expectation to keep tuition low, but no language. CSAC working to come up with financial aid proposal, maybe wanted to wait for that proposal. Continuation of summer financial aid until 2023. Great, but could be argument to not give additional funding. Feel free to hit me up on anything, questions?

Daevionne: Summer Financial Aid- that's 1 time, or is it renewed.

Varsha: Assuming ongoing, or one time to last over a few years

Aidan: I believe it is one time

Varsha: Recognition that this is important from them

Valerie: Financial aid advocacy- what are we looking for, what is it?

Varsha: Don't want to make assumptions, but we have tuition and non-tuition costs. Tuition can be somewhat modest or very inaffordable. If you are low-income, you qualify for Cal Grant, you don't pay tuition, but still on hook for non-tuition costs. For those struggling, often they are struggling with everything else. These state programs created when you could cover costs with a part time job. Want to restructure financial aid system to help. Governor lacks budget pieces around this. CA Student Aid Commission has work group on

what financial aid reform package would create. Most are waiting for this proposal. Governor maybe not wanting to jump gun before this suggestion.

Aidan: Can you put into context for last years or previous years?

Varsha: Fairly consistent with last year, a little less generous. Gov. Brown used to give us around \$90-110mil for UC. This one is more of an increase than Gov. Brown's typical.

Aidan: How might that impact our strategy?

Varsha: In general, he appears to be doing a little more to support higher ed, but recognize that he is doing more. Don't want to argue that he failed or anything of that sense. Want to convey appreciation, and suggest a few more things that we would love him to do. Careful about approach to demonstrate appreciation of increase.

Roman: Any more updated on cohort tuition model?

Varsha: That is the next slide

Ashraf: Financial aid system- trying to do reassessment of cost of living off campus. Now there is a third vendor to find costs- Shaun Brigg- director of student financial aid program in UCOP

Adam: Wasn't there a bill on this and having continuous way of calculating cost of living.

Varsha: yes, Brown used to veto all of these.

Ashraf: Decent increase to our budget, but all things we have asked for from our campaigns have not been met. Equity lens approach to budget.

Andre: State, national, UC financial aid?

Varsha: All- grants for financial aid at all levels. Some do not qualify for all of these levels.

Andre: To get more in depth info, someone we can contact?

Varsha: Probably me. I'd be happy to talk to you about that. Our job is to cultivate allies in the legislator and around others. Next, tuition. UC conveyed that following this budget release, they were looking at a 'modest' budget increase. No exact numbers, these are the largest numbers they could release. First option is to increase base tuition by 2.83%/year. Holding tuition flat in current dollars=increasing by inflation. Be aware of that language. Or cohort based tuition model for the following years. For the first few years, only increasing slowly with each incoming class. 4.83% more instate, but 4.83% more in not in state. \$1,500. These will not necessarily be the exact numbers, depends on inflation projections. Regents debating nothing or one of these two options. Full board vote is happening on Jan. 22 (Wednesday morning). This is unusual, normally they take it up to full board on Thursday. This is not great for us because we won't have much time to talk to them. Our mobilization is primarily folks doing public comment. If you can send people 5-6 people to this meeting, it will make a difference. We need support from all of you, if we can't fill the

room it will look like we aren't paying attention. Regents want you to like them so if you're mad during this public comment then they might consider other ideas.

Liz: For reference, UCSF?

Varsha: Yes UCSF Mission Bay- as middle of nowhere in SF as you can get. Please bring people to the meeting. Think about how you can engage people in your own campus, sending petition soon. Legislators don't love tuition increase, so encourage them to tweet encouraging people not to support it. I am one human being and I cannot single-handedly stop this. That is all. Questions?

Roman: Was the petition emailed to us?

Varsha: just finalized, will email in the next day or two

Refilwe: Plans to be at that regents meeting as well.

Varsha: Will integrate support points

Kaelen: Move to make these action items

Wendy: Second

Lauren: Move to go back on livestream

Kimberly: Second

Daevionne: FundtheUC folks, stay in here the rest of the day b/c this is Prop 13. I'd encourage getting your stuff from that room.

Adam: Move for 5 min recess

Varsha: Second

Endorsement of Prop 13 for the March 2020 Primaries" Aidan

Aidan: Presenter not here until 12:35

Lauren: Move to bring budget item up

Wendy: Second

Aidan: Overview on Prop 13- 2 years ago SOS, during FTUC goal to keep tuition flat and work towards deferred maintenance. All have experienced effects of deferred maintenance. Overcrowding, leaky pipes, broken classrooms, etc. General obligation bond to help those projects put together in FTUC. Comes every 2 years for sustainable pipeline. This ended in 2006 and haven't seen a bond every since. Last year endorsed SB14, UC/CSU deferred maintenance bond. Brought down eventually to \$2mil and combined in K12, CCs, CSUs and UCs. Thank you for those who organized last year. Since signed by Governor, it

can be on the ballot. This is called Prop 13, not the one we don't like but the one we do like. Coming fast on March 13.

Araf: Grad from UCD, did a lot lobbying for bills, etc. One of the campaign consultants on Prop 13 team. In 1978 there was a Prop 13 that reduced property taxes which cut funding for higher/public education. This has shown up a few times, very bad for schools in 1978, but this Prop 13 and Gov. Newsom is good for schools. \$2bil for UCs. If you're worried about health and safety, you're not going to be able to focus as much on being in class and studying. This maintenance needs to happen. This is the largest facilities bond. Unique to encompass UC/CSU/CC/K-12. For higher ed to apply, every campus also needs to adopt a student housing affordability plan. Rent is very high, now I'm living with 5 people. Excited about this. Excited about UCSA in particular, as the only student association that has staff and ability to do political advocacy. Hoping for endorsement. On campus voter reg drives, events, collabs with PIRGS, social media. Looking at y'all to advocate for why these are necessary. Big challenge is selling higher ed portion, biggest helper in passing that is the students, as you can advocate for all the needs. We really do need your help so we are very excited.

Ash: Question about how the money is distributed for K-12 schools. In prop, does it determine which schools have priority or how the money will be distributed? There are specific cities/areas that have worse structures than others?

Araf: Disparity between schools based on property tax is very real. In low income/historically marginalized areas, it is not possible for matching funds from state and district. Prop 13 removes that in those cases. So much money needed to rebuild, but there is specific language to prioritize/remove funding requirement.

Andre: Are there any foreseen issues that might pop up?

Araf: Right now, no big opposition. Only ballot on March 2020 ballot. Engagement on campus will be big and is important.

Roman: In mobilizing students, is there something specific you want to see on each campus?

Araf: Each campus has voter reg drives, want to ask that you co-op prop 13 where you can into those voter reg drives. Working with campus coordinators on that. Talked to social media team, want social media takeovers on each campus, working with Aidan/Varsha/Parshan to figure out who a good point person is

Roman: Will you provide us with fliers, materials, etc.

Araf: I have about 800 fliers back there right now. Also electronic fliers. Have window signs and dorm window signs that I can bring out afterwards. Also photos, I am a photographer so I can take photos of you with prop 13 signs.

Varsha: Putting together plan for campuses to be active. Op-eds in campus newspapers. Social media things, takeovers, in person voter reg stuff. Appreciative of students willing to

be front and center. Campaign really helpful to be put us in the front of this campaign. Want to highlight unique struggles of campuses.

Araf: Want to thank Aidan on this campaign for his leadership

Kaelen: Assembly Floor analysis for AB48, section discusses PLAs. How might we counter that?

Araf: PLA requirement makes sure these buildings are constructed correctly with correct wages. We did put in to this initiative language about unions. It shouldn't come up, but if it does, the realistic answer is that we want to pay fair wages, provide benefits, etc.

Adam: Do you have voter pledge cards?

Araf: I can design one for you

Adam: Also, voter reg- make sure they are not advocating for the prop while they are registering people

Araf: Yes don't do that, very illegal. But you can say "I'm with Prop 13, here's a flier, would you like to register to vote" is fine

Aidan: Working with Rojina to find ways of advocacy at the table saying "you should vote for Prop 13".

Varsha: Move that we endorse Prop 13

Adam: Second

No objections seen.

Prop. 13 (March 2020) Op-Ed Varsha Sarveshwar

Varsha: All who are EVPs have been contacted by Prop 13 campaigns concerning op-eds. Please get back to those emails, hoping to get those in the papers within the next week or two weeks. Help/assistance can be garnered from campaign. Great way for visibility.

Dashay: If you have already contacted Laura and have not received that email back, it was in my spam folder. Check your spam folders.

Lunch Roll Call

Resolution in Support of Changing UC Policy PACAOS-80 Regarding Student Fees

James: Chapter chair for UCSC CalPIRG. Student run student funded advocacy group. Campaigns such as protecting environment, voter reg, costs of attendance. Might have heard of us from our work on climate- co-announced with UCOP the commitment to 100% renewable electricity, plastic free at UCSA, looking to co-announce with UC system whether they will adopt that. Looking forward to big campaign on statewide leg on plastics this quarter. Reso today is on UC Policy around student fees. Want to allow all student groups to run referenda to get waivable fees. Currently, only student governments are able to do that. Waivable fees to be voted on by student body. Should allow students to voice their opinion on what their tuition is going towards. Other colleges have it, UCs used to have it. CalPIRG would like to be funded by a waivable fee in the future. This would allow us to do more work on the actual change. Belief that they could register 40,000 more students each election than they are able to do now. Currently doing about 30,000 students. Support from regents like Lark Park, John Perez, Hailey Weddle, support from student government reps, reso from ASUCLA, UCSA members as well. This reso would show the regents that the voice of the students actually supports this policy change. One of the big first steps to get this policy changed. Needs support from grad students, chancellors, student affairs admin, and regents. One thing that would help this is having UCSA's voice in this- it does weigh in a lot on student fees/ power. Reso linked.

Daevionne: Talking on FAQs- what if everyone ran a fee referendum- that's not possible, you need 20% of student body to vote. The work CalPIRG already does is pledge supported, fee referendum could help them do more. Students vote on these fees so they have control to raise the tuition or not. Even if the referendum passes, you can waive the fee. Hoping to get support to vote yes on this policy change

Varsha: Motion to extend 5 minutes

Valerie: second

Valerie: How would this change the way student governments allocate money? A lot of campus orgs apply for funding through student government. Would this mean that student governments no longer do that and orgs must run their own referendums?

James: This wouldn't affect the allocations, as they are a great way to get funding for orgs.

Daevionne: It'd be another avenue to gain funding

Varsha: is there a reason why a different process has been pursued because there is a sort of way to get referendums on the ballot. I believe the chapter at Berkeley could ask our student government to introduce a fee referendum.

James: The money would then go to the student government, not the student group.

Varsha: I have seen us give the money out to the group, the process is very confusing so student governments can be the one to learn to navigate that

Daevionne: Student orgs outside of ASUCSB are not allowed to place them on the ballot at Santa Barbara

Adam: It works differently at each campus- if the AS puts the fee referendum on the ballot, the AS still has to approve giving the funding out to that group, creating a conflict. It'd be easier to just change the UC policy.

Dashay: Out of time

Kaelen: Move to add 5 minutes

Varsha: Second

Kimberly: You mentioned how this was allowed in the 90s in the UC system- why was it taken away?

James: Back in the 90s the regents added a policy to only allow student governments to do this, because there was a court case called Southworth, which called into question whether student fees could be used to do advocacy work. It was a big deal, and the regents got worried that it would be a problem, so before it even got settled, they decided to not allow student groups to have fees in this way. A few years later, the case got settled in favor of student fees being used for advocacy work, and the regents never decided to go back on it. Now, we want to go back to the way things were so we can get funding.

Aidan: Referendums can go both ways, fund or defund things. Say a student group that is anti student fees would then move to defund. Would this process occur?

James: So to clarify, say one group gets a funding referenda, and then the next year another group moves to get rid of it?

Aidan: yes

James: So this is not in our language I do not believe.

Megan: People already have that power, and this wouldn't affect that

Kimberly: move to extend by 5 minutes

Kaelen: second

Liz: Aidan's point is that yes student government has that, but now it would be extended to orgs. On our campus, we don't have CalPIRG, I've talked to Sithara, and it doesn't seem like it's the current vision to establish that. Something similar that comes to mind are dues, like member dues. There are certain orgs that establish dues, and maybe that's another possibility.

James: So CalPIRGs funding system is basically that, we one by one ask people to fund us per quarter. We do not have it at Merced is because the student population is somewhat smaller, we do not believe we would have enough funding to run a program there- however, if we had this referenda ability, we could potentially open one.

Daevionne: Even things like Undocu Coalition and others, this applies to every sort of student org that would like to seek this out. We personally wouldn't have defunding in this, potentially later. Even when this policy changes, it's not an easy thing- it takes a lot of work to get 20% of the students out.

James: We also want to have checks with running referenda, like approval from student government and chancellors, etc. to make sure that the groups that are running these align with what the students want.

Luis: By waivable fee, this is like an opt-in opt-out system?

James: Yes, it would be an opt-out system, potentially different by campus, but every student is automatically opted in

Varsha: Move to add 10

Liz: Second

Luis: follow-up- say CalPIRG has referenda for \$10, how is everyone made aware of their ability to opt-out

James: People would know about it because they would be voting on it, they would also see it on their tuition bill, us as CalPIRG would do a lot of outreach to students to let them know

Daevionne: That is also campus to campus- at UCSB could be like "we'll make sure that this is a fee if you support it, you can opt-out"

Liz: Varies campus by campus concerning awareness of opt-out policies and possibilities. I don't think this is something that people would be made aware of. My main concern is the knowledge of people who might run things to defund groups that help communities

Megan: The student government would vote on the ballot, so if there is something that is violating policy or the mission, you would reject that measure. This creates a more democratic possibility for people to fund folks. Often statewide student advocacy groups are the ones that typically use this, as well as newspapers.

Dashay: We do have a speakers list, I am going to respect that stack, so if you have a point, then say point

Adam: Point of information- you stated that referenda needs approval from student governments?

Megan: Yes that is already in policy. The only line we're changing is that which states that only student government can pose referenda

Julian: have you reached out to the council on student fees for their support?

James: No we have not yet, but sounds like someone that we should contact

Varsha: Just as a matter of process, representing my campus, I would first want to have a conversation with the folks in my AS who work on fees. Need to speak with them before deciding my stance. I know from experience that if we moved forward with endorsement without consulting the council on student fees, it'd be a little disrespectful seeing that they are the main group on student fees.

James: Again, this doesn't change the student fees policy, but it does take a step. I understand that you wouldn't want to blindside the council on student fees, at the end of the day, this is just about extending student power and student fees?

Daevionne: How would y'all feel about tabling this

Daevionne: Move to table this until next board meeting

Rojina: Second.

Vincent: If you could just add on to consult on the council on student fees.

Daevionne: Yeah

Dashay: yes that's fine. Do anyone still wish to speak?

Kimberly: I think you should reach out to UCSD chapter. We do have a fee that if we forget to opt-out, there is a quarterly fee. Associated Students made an exception for CalPIRG to do this. Echo the sentiment of working with AS, talk to student groups on each campus because it is a possibility at UCSD.

James: And you're specifically speaking on the CalPIRG chapter? What they ran is part of our contract with our pledge fee.

Megan: That was just to renew the contract, they still do the current opt-in fee. It wasn't to add a fee, just continue something preexisting.

James: No waivable fee, they have a continuation of the opt-in fee.

Liz: Is that the same where each quarter/semester it changes, or does it continue?

James: Determined by each ballot/specific contract

Mid-Year Audit Responses Lauren Woo

Rojina: Move to move this item to tomorrow

Varsha: Second

Campaign Committee Anais Lieu

Note: Campaign Committee is a committee of the whole, all members vote.

● Campaigns Chair Announcements, Adam Hatefi

Adam: Gonna do three things- review previous campaign goals, recommend combine campaign coordinations, and develop and preview action items for Sp 2020.

Salih: In Oct. we used new campaign committee structure, talking about the goals of each committee. Want to give check up on deliverables. Just say done or not done when I read these. FUTC- expand financial aid and Summer CalGrant. Deliverables: Coordinate conversations with CSAC reps. Any updates?

Daevionne: Had conversations, amended estimates, Gov. put out budget. Haven't heard back yet.

Salih: Revisit this this quarter?

Daevionne: yes

Salih: Checking campus financial aid, securing this for summer CalGrant

Daevionne: yes, talked to each campus director, we have support. Must return aid ASAP b/c they wanted to hold onto the money.

Salih: Do you need support

Daevionne: I can talk to the EVPs during UA. Need to follow up

Salih: Summer grad rates associated with attendance.

Adam: Asked office to send us info, still waiting

Salih: Leave this?

Daevionne: yes. Said those who got it got better grades in general, so check in with them. Ask them who are the funds dispersed to, and whose grades got better. I will get that info pooled together

Adam: keep in mind that Prop 13 coming down, will have to narrow focus a little bit, so if there's something that you think should've been done, we might have to let some of these action items go

Varsha: This is something we have been looking to get for a long time but some campuses haven't distributed the funds. It's on our radar

Ashraf: Can you confirm that performance improvement can be released by the offices?

Daevionne: Our director shared it with us, didn't indicate if it should be confidential. We do have actual data. We can ask

Dashay: I don't think that should be an issue as there was something done through UCLA that worked to assess recent programs helping minority programs to see effectiveness so there shouldn't be any breach.

Salih: From UA, develop framework for Summer CalGrant- marketing, designs, etc.

Sam: Working on slides and designs

Salih: Do you have social media friendly graphics?

Daevionne: I have a lot.

Salih: GR

Aidan: Won't be introducing a bill but will be working with others.

Salih: Meeting with stakeholders for long term leg?

Aidan: GR or FTUC?

Salih: GR

Aidan: Wasn't sure the direction whether that was GR or FTUC- haven't done it in GR

Salih: Draft CA Candidates relevant to Summer Cal Grant?

Kaelen: It is started

Dashay: Our legislators seemed supportive

Salih: Is there anybody in GR that is willing to anchor this task? Start a list, reach out to others, get up and say when you have the list

Kaelen: More than just candidates, also sitting officials?

Salih: Just candidates. Draft doc to ID UCSA ad voice of students. Something to show why our voice matters to give to legislators

Aidan: I can do that

Salih: Develop lit for Summer CalGrant

Sam: Working on it

Salih: Can we make an action item creating a central place where all of these things are stored? [yes]. Finally, CAC Alert System?

Aidan: Working with Anaïs on it.

Salih: CAC- conduct classraps at all 9 campuses

Wendy: Haven't heard from all of them

Salih: Develop support form/petition for Summer calGrant [already out]

Dashay: Can that be sent on the Slack?

Salih: General folder on drive with Summer CalGrant materials

Dashay: I can do it, as well as for the rest of the campaigns

Salih: Develop social media campaign?

Wendy: Not done, will prioritize soon

Adam: May want to come back to that one later, I'm speaking on coordination in a sec

Salih: Deferred maintenance bond- social media campaign. Testimonials and working with others?

Daevionne: Parshan and I talked on a social media campaign, when we have the rest of our retreat, we'll be going over that.

Salih: CAC already started taking photos. UA, any testimonials collected?

Dashay: I think we had some collected from previous years that are still relevant, I can follow up on that

Salih: Is this something that is both necessary, and within your capacity to accomplish?

Roman: Maybe coincide with social media campaign, maybe give it away

Salih: Folks in UA- is this possible?

Dashay: Please raise hand if okay with this?

Salih: Collect UC data on current facilities?

Dashay: Still reaching out for the list- reach out to facilities, see if they have a list of deferred maintenance tasks.

Adam: Campus by campus instead of as a whole group

Aidan: Aidan's list on GR is done, will be working with Rojina and other campaign chairs

Dashay: Are you able to share that list?

Aidan: i can type it out if you need it

Salih: Picture bank?

Wendy: I have UCR and UCSB, UCI's coming

Salih: All committees supposed to work together to discuss cohort? [yes]

Dashay: Nobody showed up. It was two people, and one of them I brought from class, and they brought their friend.

Salih: UCWeVote- non instruction day to vote. UA tactics were to reach out to academic senate leadership. Do we have read on if UC is implementing MOU from Sec of State?

Dashay: The issue for me is they didn't know what the agreement was on?

Salih: Shoot me an email, I will get it out to you

Dashay: Can you share that with everybody? Like in the Slack

Salih: yes. Something we want to prioritize or let go of?

Adam: Don't know how useful this will be towards the goal of non instructional days.

Dashay: I think the purpose of this was to remind accountability.

Adam: Voter reg deadline is Feb. 17

Rojina: Feb. 15

Adam: Don't know how much time we'll have

Salih: Do folks think this should be a lower priority this quarter?

Dashay: This should become higher post primaries

Salih: Invite academic senate to UCSA still

Lauren: Yes

Adam: Maybe wait until after primaries as well.

Aidan: Do we mean the full academic senate? A specific person? The chair would probably be down to come.

Ashraf: What are we trying to accomplish here?

Adam: Non instructional day

Ashraf: Maybe have a full agenda to discuss issues with her

Dashay: I'll contact her. Haven't been doing much as chair

Adam: We have 34 days until reg deadline. Maybe hold off as many things as possible at that point.

Rojina: I agree, that's what I've asked my team to do as well- focus on registering and then go back to long term goals after.

Adam: If there are no objections, I recommend that's what we do. Move to set aside every campaign goal except registering as many people as possible, and then make sure people who are not registered are able to register, set aside everything but those two until March 3

Kaelen: Second.

Salih: Last things- develop coalitions on campus?

Wendy: At UCSB, we are unincorporated, so we can't, so I've ID' coalition partners

Roman: Working with the committee already in place to collaborate

Adam: At UCD, we have a coalition that we are meeting with on a regular basis.

Salih: Classraps?

?: I would say yeah but should continue

Adam: Letting people know that it is election day

Rojina: Move to assign action item: Want EVPs to pass through their AS' to pass a reso on non instruction days and have that done by SLC

Daevionne: Second

Luis: Once we do pass the resolution, what si the goal after

Rojina: Goal is to send resos to academic senate to show strong support across the UC

Salih: UA is to create list for affirmative action committees.

Dashay: All I could find was through the academic senate. Reached out to diversity/inclusion team and they have not yet responded

Adam: Reached out to our chancellor, potentially open to be a vocal supporter

Aidan: There was one at least before, not sure about the current

Salih: I'll talk to Parshan to figure this out.

Dashay: 1.b info on UC website

Liz: We can include repeal prop 209 on our agenda

Salih: GR- reached out to Dr. Webber?

Kimberly: Had intro meeting.

Aidan: Coalition we are a part of is very involved with Dr.Webber

Salih: CAC ID on campus orgs in support of repeal prop 209

Wendy: I have a sheet

Salih: For ACQUIRE- UA gather data on undocu centers and demographic breakdowns

Liz: Support from who?

Salih: Funding

Liz: Per campus? Don't have updated info

Salih: have we asked UC for breakdown?

Liz: No.

Dashay: we can ask next meeting

Wendy: Spreadsheet from SB and Riverside on prospective coalition partners

Salih: Gonna drag down the challenges from last quarter to this quarter

Adam: Want to bring up the part 2. This quarter, we have a compressed timeline. We have Prop 13 vote on March 13, and voter reg deadline on Feb 15. Must increase cooperation/collab between different campaigns. Ex. Prop 13 needs votes, UCWeVote needs voters. Stronger unified actions between the two. How that collab will work is something we need to determine. Also how funding campaigns will help GR and Varsha to get those funds. If we want to start by what action items and how FTUC and UCWeVote can collab to increase voter engagement and reg and get out the vote campaign is something we should talk about. Also the ground game- being face to face. My suggestion is how we can have the two campaigns work together to get electoral goal achieved by March 3.

Daevionne: Can we do that offline and come back

Adam: Maybe brainstorm now.

Daevionne: In FTUC we talked about overlap of the campaigns. We can be the people on the ground giving out facts. In UCWeVote, work with coordinators to determine polling places, graphics for where people vote, etc.

Rojina: I already told Prop 13 that I would work with them to distribute merch to coincide with voter reg efforts. That would make sure the efforts are collaborative. Agree with what Daevionne said.

Adam: Are the coordinators still here? [yes]. What are you focusing on now?

Daevionne: Most of this is Prop 13. Have discussed other goals, but current priority is Prop 13.

Varsha: Suggest between now and regents meeting, efforts go to budget/funding until regents meeting, then switch to Prop 13, then move on to the other stuff. Can I add an action item under Prop 13? Task EVPs with introducing a reso to make sure the campus also supports Prop 13.

Aidan: Maybe take a week to focus on tuition vote, during which we can gather info on prop 13. Other thing is with EVPs is if you know folks on your editorial board, raise the issue to them so they have editorials on this. Newspapers endorsing would be very effective.

Adam: Question for CAC. The coordinators for UCWeVote is working on voter coalitions. At some point for Prop 13, there has to be campaigning. Maybe create ground campaign to register and get folks out to vote.

Wendy: We'd be happy to do that.

Adam: So coordinate the two efforts.

Salih: Maybe have UCWeVote Chair and CAC chair sit down to determine strategy on GOTV and others

Salih: We need a central location for each of the campaign pieces

Wendy: That's in the CAC drive, I can make that available to everyone.

Adam: Is there something to be said for getting faculty members whose classes are falling apart to have them sign onto a letter? Is that something that UA and FTUC are interested in?

Daevionne: The faculty I tried with were prohibited from that. Definitely can look into it

Adam: In their official capacity, they cannot do that. But that's legislation.

Aidan: Missed under one of these was editorial board to have newspaper endorsements.

Adam: Maybe we should have a meeting on how we can do a unified social media campaign so develop social media strategy

Varsha: Can we add that and formalize the things we talked about earlier regarding tuition- so having UA bring people to meeting and GR contact local legislators requesting that they tweet, etc.

Salih: The tuition petition?

Varsha: Yes.

Adam: Anything more? Okay next ACQUIRE and RJN. Either of the VCs here today? [no]. Wanted to bring up \$20mil continuous funds for undocu (Undocumented Student Services, formally incarcerated foster youth). Campaigns with UA to provide back up material for GR to use?

Aidan: Parshan's idea= UA/CAC for webinars. Not only for legislators but others to realize the good work that is going on behind the services.

Adam: So joint UA/CAC thing?

Ashraf: Salih was talking about this, maybe CAC.

Salih: Has different strategy for \$20mil ask. This was around op-eds for the \$20mil. We don't have enough direct relation on campuses. Slightly different strategy. SavePep is money that is allocated for student services (Recruitment retention, Upward Bound, etc...), programs that do outreach to communities of color, etc...

Adam: Both of these are UC-budget asks so I would suggest getting those centers on campus run by admin and police to sign on to a letter to describe why it's important to have this funding. CAC can get these letters and give to GR. I think the same strategy could be used for the other ask as well.

Salih: Does GR has any Lobby Days specific to these particular asks?

Aidan: This will be included in our general budget advocacy but we don't have a specific SAPEP one

Salih: i could help CAC with looking into putting this together if folx are interested

Adam: if it does end up being a lobby day it would just be members of budget committees in both chambers.

Salih: I think it'd be good if we got social media testimonial from SAPEP groups

Dashay: SAPEP is vital in achieving our goals as an org as they do a lot of outreach to folx from marginalized communities and is important in shaping a future gen of student leaders

Adam: Task UA with developing and passing resolutions through senates on SAPEP support

Adjourn when concluded

Sunday Agenda (times are approximate):

This Meeting's Action Items

Executive Committee (may meet in closed session)-- Cancelled

Convene Full Board; Roll Call

Lauren: Move to add 5 min for anais staff report, 15 for mid year audit, 15 for ad-hoc rebranding

Varsha: Second

Daevionne: Move to add 10 min for Mauna Kea

Lauren: Second

15 minutes: Guest Reports (if present)

● **Student Regent, Student Regent Designate**

Hailey: Thank you for letting me call in. Had last ever PhD class yesterday and I survived. Nice to be connecting to you all. [goes through powerpoint]

Liz: Trying to find link to the presentation and campus visits from student regents, not seeing the correct thing- is it updated?

Dashay: That was my bad, I'll fix that now

David: Mentioned Title IX item on agenda, do you know what day and what committee/time?

Hailey: Board open session, Thursday. Looks like full board is at 10:30 and it is the second item. Maybe around 11?

David: Thank you.

Ashraf: Any other questions? (none seen)

5 minutes: Anais Staff Report

Anais: Over December and break, SOCC expenses. Did staff reviews and mid year audit with Dashay, Varsha and Lauren. Efforts for regents meeting and advocacy by creating petition. Supported Council of Student Fees call. Produced logo with rebranding group, worked with web consultant to transition to a new website. Working on tax filings. Closing Oakland office on Jan.31, relocating to Sac. For rest of Jan I will be moving. SLC planning, reg and hotel availability opens tomorrow. Instructions on how to do hotel things soon. Numbers are \$175/room/night, reg is \$200/student. Please assign secondary delegation leader, usually the LD. Makes everything easier. Have at least two leads. Finally, I am wrapping up my time with UCSA- came here, said I'd stay 5 years and that will be up in May. New things on horizon that I will let you know when they're solid. I've really enjoyed my time here. Finally, these are the people that owe us money. Look on the link to find the fees due. Overdue reimbursement from Global Food Initiative. Tracking that down. UCM owes us for SOCC. UCSD owes travel reimbursement from the vote summit. From last meeting, changed UCSB's GSA dues to 10%, so that is currently due.

UCSD: Dues are from what?

Anais: Not totally sure off the top of my head.

5 minutes: Public Comment

Dashay: Quick announcement, forgot to add public comment so I added it on that.

David: Hi, UCSC Lobby Corps Director. Moment to speak on Disability Services. Do a lot of work on that. Serving on working group that examines exam processes. As a result, been able to see underlying issues that system is facing from other UCs. Working on report that I will submit to y'all to undertake budgetary ask for Disability Services. University is ill equipped to serve this problem, w/o lawsuit no motivation to pursue. Of 3 interviewed UCs, all reported difficulty reporting the need to upper level admin. This is worthy of investment. The ratio of resources to students is off. Has particular impacts on marginalized communities. These are a great way to build universal design. \$3.8mil will provide great resources across the UCs. This is an area that has a big impact, up to 11% of the student body is affected.

15 minutes: Mid-Year Audit Review

[reviews presentation]

15 minutes: Ad-hoc Rebranding Committee

Vincent: Aidan, Channy, Roman, myself and Dashay have been working on rebranding in the 2020 legislative cycle. At charge of Aidan and Anais, thank you for coordinating and strategizing. Here is our timeline.

Aidan: Wanted to thank those in the committee who volunteered. Have overseen rebranding, etc. Can take a long time, did this in 2 months, credit to Anais and committee folks. Anais who put up many mock ups. Worked with constructive criticism and great ideas.

Vincente: Charge of ad-hoc. Current brand that UCSA is implementing premiered in February 2010. Going into a new decade, want something fresh, new and bold. Appeared on all materials. Utilize ad-hoc to make sure we're standing out and representing UC students in the fullest capacity. Lucky and fortunate to have Anais and all the skills she's been utilizing with all the different logos. Last BM talked on messaging pillars, tried to keep y'all updated. Continuing, current UC brand, 5 colors 2 fonts on logo. That's what it looks like now on materials and promotional materials. Switching this up and reframing what we want to say when we're presenting.

Roman: When we started, we looked for 3-4 sample companies/logos, drew inspiration, strengths/weaknesses of current brand. Developed initial goals of what we wanted to say in the new brand and the initial reactions with the new logo. After we sent in own ideas/samples, went over the pillars and talked about what we wanted to convey, different themes/core values. Anais came up with 20 sample logos. Discussed different ones we liked, went over colors, talked about what we should add/take away.

Channy: We then lowered from 20 to 3-4 to see main one. More discussion of strengths/weaknesses. Continued to combine different ones we liked. Then we got our finalized logo design and discussed fonts. Brainstormed how the logo would look like on print media, website, online graphics, pins, buttons, t-shirts, etc. Anywhere our logo would be, looked at how easy financially it would be sound.

Vincente: Highlight that these conversations is not just logo, we considered where the logo would go and how it would be implemented. Further, how we would format documents moving forward. Want a large role in social media. Let us know if you have any other things that you want implemented.

Dashay: The first messaging guide was active and relevant representation. Bringing issues from campus system wide. Seek to push against the status quo, innovate the issues most affecting students. For example, Arroyo Drive is one of our housing streets. There are a lot of safety concerns but students don't know who to reach out to. We want to be that organization that students can reach out to for systemwide top-down management. We are there for issues happening in the moment. Don't want to be internet explorer of student orgs. Next is driven by values. Core values of UCSA we want to make sure is represented in the brand, the work we do, and the actions we're taking. Then the next one is timely engagement and policy. Work to be voice on pressing issues so students can't be ignored. Don't have funds to be consistently lobbying in Sac. Still important that our voices are heard. Student issues must be addressed. Want to make sure we are meeting with these people and making sure that we can get on that first name basis. Next is transparency and

community. Strive for transparency in their community. We don't want to seem how the university is with decisions being made behind closed doors. We take public comment seriously. Students should feel that their issues are addressed.

Aidan: This is the new logo we came up with. Want it to be lead by our values. As you can see, it's a radical departure from the previous logo we had. SHows shift of transparency and receptiveness. Came from logo from different angles. Representing the 10 campuses across CA. CA shape is front and center, we do reflect the state, diversity and values. Around that is a decagon representing the 10 UC campus values. Strength and power and unity are coming together. Decluttered the logo before for simplicity. More innovative, students are the first to mobilize/organize around issues. With colors, took look at a number of different colors. Blue and yellow indicate UC but still fresher. Primary colors is a return to the basics. Typography went from blockier font to more streamline and simple, again on newness and freshness. Then on the right, UC Student Association to put an emphasis on those. Shifted to be more intentional to put emphasis on students. Finally, logo used to be more rectangular, harder to get on papers. Now in seal, much more in line with other student associations. Finally, a few next steps. Staggered timeline for implementation. First mediums are important to determine, want to know what you all think is most important to see the brand refresh first. Vincente and Dashay have been working hard on the website rebranding. Like to hear input from you, and how you would like to see this logo implemented. Thank you.

Ash: This is not really a question but personal opinion. Really appreciate y'all on the time and commitment for completing this. For me, in comparison to the previous logo, I really like the visible outline of a person. Gave the idea of committee of action. Personally, I liked that in the previous logo. Don't know how you can see action from this new logo. Just my own personal input.

Adam: Move to extend 5 minutes

Varsha: Second

Anais: Just quickly, that logo has gotten criticism from disability activists about how that is our representation of a student.

Adam: Can you go back to the logo. I don't know if this is my not having had coffee, but it does look like the shape of a "do not enter sign". May want to avoid that, think about that.

Jenna: Also want to bring up fact that since its blue and yellow, there's color blindness and there's color over the logo, so it may be hard to see.

Anais: Maybe we can take another look at that. Intent to be printed in single color if needed. I hear you, definitely overlooked that

Jenna: Much better than last one though

Jocelyn: I like simplicity, but more detail in simplicity is possible. Maybe adding more to what CA is, there are a lot of differences, the CA part itself just looks a little plain. Appreciate all your work

Varsha: Echo some of the appreciation given. As president, happy something happened and I had nothing to do with it. New logo inherently jarring because we have been staring at the old logo for years. I really do like it after watching. Having folks talk at you may be hard to remember, but maybe folks can email small changes they want to make. I'm good with the current framework, but small changes great. Great start, great logo, also heard feedback that they think our old logo is a little dated. Appreciate you.

Aidan: Maybe a form or something, but Anais is the principle designer behind this

Anais: Think sending out email and collecting feedback, then you can discuss implementation before I hit design again.

Isiah: Can tell you put a lot of time and effort. Want to echo that it does look like a do not enter. Might give off wrong impression.

Kaelen: 7 more minutes

Wendy: Second

Kaelen: Want to move away from the logo. The term material conditions in how we represent UC students. Feel uncomfortable with that term, so as to not limit our work. Critical fights are often not material, but relates to things such as Prop 209, more on the human side of the fight. I love this logo. Have to remember that this will be printed out on really bad AS printers. This is a really washed out version of it so it's simpler. Staffers barely look at our faces, let alone business cards. This is a great middle ground, but that starts assuming that we have a lot more time and resources than we do. Thank you

Valerie: I like it.

Jocelyn: People are fine but at Merced, people think UC they think Berkeley, etc. Students don't think of Merced and we're often overlooked. Is there a way to add names on that?

Aidan: Intentional choice not to write campuses, when we shrink logos to pin or on a paper, might be illegible. Could create another way to incorporate UC names.

Ash: Just to bounce off of what other folks have been saying, like the idea with the shape's different points. Two of these points are covered by state of CA. Shape itself is really good idea, just struggle because two are covered. In the end you only see a few, thus others are not represented if that makes sense? Only thing I see, like I get the stop sign thing that's been talked about, I like the points, I like being able to count those campuses. Want to make sure there is visibility.

Ilhim: Because we have CA, we could just put dots there for approximate locations of where the campuses are.

Dashay: It could still be the same issue, because the middle is still blocked out.

Wendy: Really like how we mentioned 10 sides. At the old logo, there are like these little rows

Dashay: They're supposed to be books

Wendy: They're books? The point is, there may be other ways of representing the ten campuses. Could be like 10 of those books. Like idea of putting stuff on CA. Again some things would be covered, such as SB. Making taking out the ten things, and adding a simple shape like ten shapes.

Dashay: We will probably send out the link to a form b/c we could probably stay in here forever.

Kaelen: Motion to move Mauna Kea to after committee break out.

Wendy: Second.

Aidan: Thank you. We all appreciate the critique. That is a critical part of the process, so please do let us know. Everything you share will make it more perfect.

120 minutes: Committee Breakouts: Campus Action, Government Relations, University Affairs

10 minutes: Ratification of Committee Action Items

Daevionne: Strike Mauna Kea agenda item

Luis: second

Daevionne: Move for action item for EVPs at Merced, SC, SB to give update on Mauna Kea to their student body and Chancellor

Valerie: Second

Liz: UA - we established our weekly calls. Saturday at 2. EVPS are tasked to send names of students going to regents meeting. Varsha will contact and share with school newspapers.

Aidan: Approved committee minutes and proposed themed lobby days. Black lobby day and Transfer lobby day, basic needs lobby day, and unknown day for financial aid lobby day. Members. Deep dive into governors budget for press release. Did three bill reviews and reaffirmed support for these bills. Discuss proposed calendar and will approve it on our call on Friday.

Wendy: OD structure on every campus and accountability. Make a request to EVPs to make an accountability measure for ODs. It gets to the point where people can not complete things and nothing happens. EVPs please make some accountability for their ODs and LDs. Is a week or two feasible? I would like to ask EVPs to send in accountability measures for their offices by the 19th. We also went over all of the action items coming up. We will be holding our organizing bootcamp at the February Board Meeting. Please bring all of your campaign coordinators. EVPs please bring your ODs, please bring your coordinators for this bootcamp.

Kaelen: Motion to ratify action items.

Ash: Second

5 minutes: Action Item Check-In

[Anais reads action items]

Wendy: For action items, can we also have campaign coordinators attend?

Lunch

Adjourn when concluded

(After adjournment) Campaign Leadership Check-in: All campaign chairs, committee chairs, and staff

Session I Roll Call

Position	Present?	Position	Present?	Position	Present?
UC Berkeley EVP	p	UC Merced EVP	p	UC Santa Cruz EVP	p
UC Berkeley LD	p	UC Merced LD	p	UC Santa Cruz LD	prx
UC Berkeley OD	a	UC Merced OD	p	UC Santa Cruz OD	a
UC Davis EVP	p	UC Riverside EVP	a	Academic Affairs Officer	a
UC Davis LD	a	UC Riverside LD	p	Alumni Relations Officer	p
UC Davis OD	a	UC Riverside OD	p	Basic Needs Officer	a
UC Irvine EVP	p	UC San Diego EVP	p	Campus Climate Officer	a

UC Irvine LD	p	UC San Diego LD	p	Environmental Sustainability Officer	p
UC Irvine OD	p	UC San Diego OD	p	Financial Aid Advocacy Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad EVP	prx	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad EVP	prx	International Students Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad LD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad LD	p	Labor Relations Officer	a
UCLA Undergrad OD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad OD	prx	Underrepresented Students Officer	a
UCLA Grad EVP	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad EVP	a	Transfer Student Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Grad LD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad LD	a	CFO	p
UCLA Grad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad OD	a		

Session II Roll Call

Position	Present?	Position	Present?	Position	Present?
UC Berkeley EVP	p	UC Merced EVP	p	UC Santa Cruz EVP	p
UC Berkeley LD	p	UC Merced LD	p	UC Santa Cruz LD	p
UC Berkeley OD	a	UC Merced OD	p	UC Santa Cruz OD	a
UC Davis EVP	p	UC Riverside EVP	p	Academic Affairs Officer	p
UC Davis LD	p	UC Riverside LD	p	Alumni Relations Officer	p
UC Davis OD	p	UC Riverside OD	p	Basic Needs Officer	a
UC Irvine EVP	p	UC San Diego EVP	p	Campus Climate Officer	a
UC Irvine LD	p	UC San Diego LD	p	Environmental	p

				Sustainability Officer	
UC Irvine OD	p	UC San Diego OD	p	Financial Aid Advocacy Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad EVP	prx	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad EVP	p	International Students Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad LD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad LD	p	Labor Relations Officer	a
UCLA Undergrad OD	p	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad OD	p	Underrepresented Students Officer	a
UCLA Grad EVP		UC Santa Barbara Grad EVP		Transfer Student Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Grad LD		UC Santa Barbara Grad LD		CFO	a
UCLA Grad OD		UC Santa Barbara Grad OD			

Session III Roll Call

Position	Present?	Position	Present?	Position	Present?
UC Berkeley EVP	p	UC Merced EVP	p	UC Santa Cruz EVP	p
UC Berkeley LD	a	UC Merced LD	p	UC Santa Cruz LD	prx
UC Berkeley OD	a	UC Merced OD	p	UC Santa Cruz OD	a
UC Davis EVP	a	UC Riverside EVP	p	Academic Affairs Officer	p
UC Davis LD	a	UC Riverside LD	p	Alumni Relations Officer	a
UC Davis OD	a	UC Riverside OD	p	Basic Needs Officer	a
UC Irvine EVP	p	UC San Diego EVP	p	Campus Climate Officer	a
UC Irvine LD	p	UC San Diego LD	p	Environmental Sustainability Officer	a

UC Irvine OD	p	UC San Diego OD	p	Financial Aid Advocacy Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad EVP	a	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad EVP	p	International Students Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Undergrad LD	a	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad LD	p	Labor Relations Officer	a
UCLA Undergrad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Undergrad OD	p	Underrepresented Students Officer	a
UCLA Grad EVP	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad EVP	a	Transfer Student Affairs Officer	p
UCLA Grad LD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad LD	a	CFO	a
UCLA Grad OD	a	UC Santa Barbara Grad OD	a		